Monday, January 05, 2009



Happy New Year's Eve (Dave and I with our friend Jonathan--a friend from grad school. We were at Jo's house--another grad school friend, and who taught Matthew 's English class in high school.)

Then to the New Year's Day tasks--taking down the Christmas tree.

Our stockings, with toys and decorations. I think Cynthia brought me that angel from Italy--but even if I'm wrong, it's still a good way to think of a sister on Christmas.

This is the oldest ornament on the tree. My grandmother Bickmore used to send a bit of money in every birthday card--five dollars. One year I went down the the little shop in Ladera and purchased this ornament at their half-price sale. I was still in high school, living at home in Portola Valley.

We have others that remind of us those we love as well--a hand-painted ornament from Annie Eastmond, candy cane reindeer from our Secret Santa one year, a china figurine from an old friend among others.

I like putting up the tree, but there seems always to be such a rush. Taking down the ornaments is a time for reflection, of thinking about Grandmother Bickmore and sending her good wishes up in heaven.

No comments: