Thursday, May 21, 2009

Three Days in Peru


I've spent the last three days in Peru. Not literally, but the Peru of my youth, when my father took a leap of faith and a deanship position for a business school in Lima. And the Peru I just spent time in was filtered through his eyes, his journals and his concerns and successes.

I went through the 100-plus page section twice in a row, first straightening out the cupboards, then restocking them with previously cut sections to add back more of the flavor. This experience of editing his memoir has been a real gift to me from my father, as I am beginning to understand--in a sliver of a way--some of what he went through (and helps me understand why the children and family aren't at the center of the writing--that will be in Mother's journals and letters. Heads Up, Mom. You're next.).

The family is there, but at the core. The great peripheral is ESAN, the business school run by Stanford University, swirling in a great stew of faculty and staff issues, the constant conundrum of financial support, the incredible trips, the conferences and meeting of a wide range of all different types of people from government, missionary, academia, and local. What a leap it was for our family--for all seven of us--to follow our parents into a different land and culture for two years.

We are richer for it.

2 comments:

La Asistente said...

I think of Toblerone chocolate bars, school uniforms, Mother constantly managing the household help, and Dad everpresent, but always involved somewhere else. Can hardly wait to read the memoir.

Judy C. said...

This sounds fun. I have to laugh when you mention the different focus of their writings. So typical! BTW, email me because I'm out of town and using my laptop WITHOUT your address, and I have a question.