Friday, December 15, 2006

Broken Habits

I broke a lot of the Christmas buying habit the year we took our family to Rome, Italy for Christmas. We ignored all pleas from retailers, avoided the local mall, pulled out minimal decorations and felt deliciously free of the previous 24 years of mass (retail) hysteria. I comment on that now, because this year, when I need to be gearing up for the Big Event, I walk the Malls thinking, why would I want furry speakers? Who ever needs fuzzy flip-flops?  I guess with work, church service, new and interesting small grandchildren hanging around my life, who cares if your home is lacking yet another set of decorative snowmen?

At this stage of my life, what I lust after is furniture, draperies, and efficient handymen who clean up after themselves.


But when my son calls and says "Like a visit from three boys?" it reorients me.

The sanguine mood of my afternoon, a let-down perhaps after a long semester and too much grading, was banished after watching Alex shoot the Santa toy across the table, while the angel chimes whirled from the glowing candles.

No comments: