Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Final Days in Lyon

Monday finds me at the top of Croix-Russe Hill, one of two hills on which Lyon was originally built, long before they headed down to the flatland. Croix-Russe is north of our hotel and I wisely took the Metro UP the hill this time. No heroics for me, although the days of climbing stairs has helped. (I can now make it all the way to 2 1/2 flights before I pause.)

View from La Croix-Rousse to Fourviere Hill

Traboules are the narrow passageways through buildings that the silk workers used to keep their silks from getting rained on, and I'm on the hunt for some of them. It is threatening rain today as well, so I feel I'm getting in the mood.

Vulcanization
Lyon, France
June 2007


Voraces Courtyard
Lyon, France
June 2007




Thiaphat Passage
Lyon, France
Jun 2007

Passage Arch
Lyon, France
June 2007

Passage Arch, Ground Floor
Thiaphat Passage
Lyon, France
June 2007

Nombril Monde
Lyon, France
June 2007

(cool looking building)

Not a traloule, but an abandoned sofa filled with bottle caps. Another type of passage, I suppose.

Double Stairs
Croix-Rousse
Lyon, France
June 2007

It was about now that the skies opened up and Lyon was deluged by rainfall. I took cover under a market awing, then walked down the hill to the Metro by the Town hall. I picked up lunch at the sandwich shop in Place Bellecour and waited for the rain to let up, as did the many people at the entrances to the underground transit. Gave up and ate lunch in my hotel room.
The sky cleared, leaving the best weather ever: cool, almost crisp and no humidity.

I walk around, looking at shop windows, up the pedestrian street where the golden rooster atop the cinema is glowing.

After the Rain
Lyon, France
June 2007

Favorite Jewelry Shop

Back to my pedestrian street, Rue Victor Hugo, a cellist and a violinist have set up shop a block from my hotel, playing for coins.

It's good to hear music again--such a part of my life at home. I linger, listen, give a few coins (wish I had more) and stroll around, always within listening distance. Vivaldi and Bach echo off the shops and plazas, resonating deeply.
Mayor's House, 2eme Arrond.
Lyon, Franc
June 2007

Elisabeth
Lyon, France
June 2007

Dave and I walk up Presq'uille to dinner at another of Bocuse's brasseriers; Le Nord. We enjoy the walk home as well, the late-evening sunsets give the buildings a rosy glow against the deepening blue sky.

St. Nizier
Lyon, France
June 2007

Garden Shop Window
Lyon, France
June 2007

Although the statue is blurry, the color of the sky is so lush and gorgeous, I couldn't resist.
Go for the color. Color and light.

No comments: