Wednesday, August 29, 2007

So.
I read about the lunar eclipse and was amazed to find myself awake at 2:30 a.m. on Tuesday morning. I took the first shot through my study window. I checked the internet (see blurb below), then took myself, my flashlight and my camera outside for a better look (middle shot). I went back to bed and thought that if I was wandering around the backyard at 2:40 a.m., I might as well stay up for the Big Event at 3 a.m. (last shot).

I was joined by a my neighbor's sprinklers scaring me to death ( a sudden burst of sound while you're standing in your pink gingham nightgown and old sandals in the middle of the night, while using the handle of the barbeque as a photo rest is rather startling), as well a possum scurrying away from the beam of my flashlight.


(click to enlarge)


This is what I wish my camera could take.

(This one's an older one from the NASA website, with this caption: The March 3, 2007, lunar eclipse favored Africa, Europe, and Asia. Photo by Anthony Ayiomamitis.)

When I mentioned to my students that I'd been up for the lunar esclipse, they all looked at me with blank faces. And I'm trying to remember that ditty my dad used to quote to me. Something about "the cow going up to the moon but over; I don't know what made her so lunar a loon--all she'd been having was clover."

That echoed through my head as well, as I watched the moon turn a rusty orange color.

No comments: