Sunday, January 27, 2008

Road to California 2008
I was bedazzled by the quilts, the shopping, and low on energy this year, so I apologize--I didn't write down the makers of the quilts. None of these are mine, and some may be found on the website for the quilt conference . They usually post the winners as well as put out a CD for purchase.

I focused my camera a lot on the quilting this go-round, interested to see if the quilters escaped the "stipple jail" and broke out some new patterns, new ways of filling in background. I also tried to find the new, different and interesting as I feel my quilting could benefit from a fresh way of looking at things.

The quilt on the left uses black tulle for an interesting effect. The snippets of fabric are layered in, then covered with a veil of tulle and quilted. More bright dabs of colors were laid over that and quilted down, creating an interesting foreground-background effect. (As always, click to enlarge.)


A faculty exhibit? The quilter depicts scenes from Australia in an interesting way.

I loved this one--looking up into treetops.

Fish! A great scrappy quilt.

Detail of fish. Notice the interior patterns on the fish--many variations: nine-patches, strip-piecing, diamonds. The variety keep the eye moving.

The colors of this applique quilt are not the least bit traditional.

Nor is the subject matter, nor the quilting.


Butterfly Bonanza?

We both liked the quilt as it said "hot chocolate, good movie and a quiet night," of course, while cuddled up in this.

How can someone not be drawn to this razzle-dazzle quilt?

A woman made this quilt in honor of her husband's car and their road trip. The quilt docent was enthusiastically lifting it up to show everyone the back. After admiring it, we walked around the corner.

I guess that last time she was a little too enthusiastic, as a series of quilts and frames and drapes came tumbling down. I looked over and she was standing there, still holding the corner of the quilt, looking shell-shocked. Many tried to help, but the show officials came and made it right.

Cinq Terre--one of the places Dave and I want to go to in Italy.

Perfection in a Bear's Paw.

This orangey quilt vibrated right off the wall--the use of the cool blues and greens really made it pop.

Pictorial quilts struck it big this year in the awards.


Look Ma--no stippling!

Now you don't see it. . .

Now you do. This represents the four seasons--the quilting was stunning.

Dave and I had been to see Cristo's The Gates in 2005 in New York City's Central Park. They had a quilt there that responded to that amazing art installation.

Okay, here's some shots we took of the Gates--can't resist.





Now, back to the quilt show.

If I had this, I'd wear it everywhere. Maybe.

A more traditional applique quilt.

There was a special exhibit there about antique aprons--very fun.


The end!

No comments: