Thursday, January 17, 2008

So Where Was I?

Black & White & Catrina All Over

This was the black and white challenge quilt I sent to my guild--got it done, although now as I look at it, I think: I've got to change than, fix that, move that over to that side. . .

For early birthday fun I went up to see my sister Christine and the Joseph Cornell exhibit in San Francisco. She took me here first: the Asian Art Museum, the converted SF library. I loved the scale of grand against intimate. We saw an exhibit of dress designers from Japan, who certainly pushed, pulled, extruded and pleated the proverbial edge.


The grand staircase--the light was dim as it was raining out and the focus is a touch blurry--but grand nonetheless.

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do--do it with they might."
The carved aphorisms make me think.

Christine liked the one over the opposite doorway:
"Silence at the proper season is wisdom and better than any speech."

Downstairs a trio of visitors led the museum-goers in the creation of a rubbing, using mulberry paper, an inked plate, and some elbow grease.


Getting the corner stamped with vermilion ink.

He's trying a different technique here, of making an impression print--draping a moist piece of paper over a mold, and pouncing it to give it shape and form.


Christine creates hers.

Next to MOMA, where we met Rachelle for my birthday lunch and to see the Cornell. This pictured exhibit had a prismatic rainbow constructed on the bridge. Click to see it close-up.
The Cornell was intriguing, fascinating, and made me think about the intersection of text and visual illustration. They showed for one of his boxes he wrote out his concept, highlighting phrases, which then were translated into the visual elements of his box. I don't know how many other times he did this, but it neatly joined a circle for me.

Every time I think I have no time to spend in a museum, I find myself wanting to prolong a visit, wanting to talk art/idea/creativity. This feeling is heightened when in the company of fascinating people, like the two women who were with me that day.

No comments: