Friday, June 13, 2008

The Elizabethan Report Card

A Day in the Life, well, a Couple of Days & One Snarky Moment in the Life


With a one day's notice, we hosted Dave's niece and her 4-member band, The Elizabethan Report, these past two days. Dave never saw his niece, given the schedules of the band (in at 2:30 a.m., up around mid-morning, rev up around mid-afternoon). They're on their summer tour. If you click on the band name above, you can read their blog.

The first morning, I tip-toed around the sleeping band members, deferring all my noisy tasks until they awoke. As I had an appointment with the Apple Genius Bar at 11, so left before I saw the whites of their eyes (well, I did see Hillery's as she emerged sleepily from the bedroom as I was leaving).


The iBook (my grad notebook) died. An old friend of my son's, Justin, who is an Apple Genius In Training, diagnosed it, and we checked it into Apple's Hospital. He was most helpful and we chewed over old times while watching the poor little notebook slowly shut down.

Upon my return home, The Elizabethan Report was up, except for one dark-haired fellow still asleep on the living room floor (turns out it's Aaron, the drummer) and I met them all. Very nice people. I'm sure I look nearly a thousand years old to them and they lump me in the generational category of Looks Like My Mother. We exchange some pleasantries, especially after I give them my code to our wireless network. No, they wouldn't care for any lunch as they just had breakfast.

I had some phone calls to make and after the band took off, I did more errands as we're trying to get ready for our lengthy trip to Europe (leave next weekend) and we're having The Bookcases installed (Monday through Thursday). This is Dave's finals week and he's been correcting homework, giving finals, juggling Student Seminar Days, attending to all things UCR. You could say we're a bit stressed.

Miss Marple from Netflix was a fitting end to our day. Dave slept through it, and I was engaged by the mystery. I awoke at 3 a.m.--lights on downstairs. Dave awoke at 4 a.m.--lights still on in the guest bedroom. Dave and I traded notes on our early-morning walk. Dave took off to give his final (8 a.m.) and I had a 9 a.m. hair appointment, followed by a trip to AAA (Int'l Driver's License), Hillmer's Luggage (the OTHER plug adapter for Great Britain), laundry soap from Costco, paint supplies from Home Depot (tomorrow's job: painting the ceiling patches).

When I arrived home at 1:15 p.m., the band was gone. I went upstairs to send an email and found all sorts of Google and blog windows open on our computer, and the printer blinking.

I stripped three beds, collected five towels from the bathroom, gathered the bedding from two sofas downstairs while I worked out my feeling about what I read on their blog.

Aaron (the drummer) had posted a picture of the funky shower sign I put up 12 years ago (and quite frankly, had forgotten about).


I had posted this to remind my children to clean up after themselves as well as to counteract a poorly installed tub. It went up after we had recaulked the tub multiple times. The drummer gave his commentary on this, complete with further reactions of "furrowed brows." I sent the blog link to Dave. We thought it was interesting that he never mentioned the free food, clean beds and towels, free showers and WiFi, free use of our personal computer and printer. He noted only our quirky admonishment about shower moisture.

Like I said, we fall into the generation of Looks Like My Mother. Hope their next house is more to their liking.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Hmmm. Much too nice. No sign of smoke coming out of your ears (as it would have been from mine) while you seethe inside.