Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Alberta's Rose

When Dave's mother passed away, friends of ours brought us a rosebush to plant in her honor. For a full year, it sat in the corner of our yard, surviving against all odds. After removing the star pine tree before we left for DC, I now had a place for the rose. When I tried to lift up the bucket I found out why it had survived: a sturdy taproot had found water.

In the new place, near my vegetable garden, it has done well and I think good thoughts about Sal and Marlene and their kindness. Although not the real name, we call this the Alberta rose after his mother. This year the blooms were vivid, and I clipped one and put in a small vase by the kitchen sink

Trying to hurry out the door this Sunday, I couldn't find Dave.

I found him crouched outside, taking a photo of his mother's rose on Mother's Day.

No comments: