Monday, November 05, 2007

Three Things

While I've been down and out, I've watched two movies--one terrific, the other we won't mention. Here's the terrific one: Seducing Dr. Lewis. A French-Canadian movie with subtitles, its actors and storyline make it an entertaining watch.

I finally got this novel read. I paid 50 cents for it at a garage sale and it's sat for probably five years in my house. My mother always said it was good, and she's quite the reader.
I started reading and couldn't put it down. Good fiction does hold up, although at times I wondered what the PC police would say about things, I pushed that to the back of my mind in order to follow the story of Wang Lung and his amazing wife O-lan (although interestingly the book cover doesn't even mention her). When I was so sick this weekend, I kept thinking of how O-lan would carry a baby to term, deliver it herself, and on one occasion went back out to the fields to help hoe the weeds. Of course, compared to her I felt like a wimp, laying there with drugs to relieve my symptoms, a stove to cook on that I didn't have to gather fuel for and freshly-squeezed orange juice if I wanted it.

Today I ventured out to get more of those drugs (we'd run low) and while I was in the car I went for gas at Valero near the grocery store. I didn't want to get caught tomorrow with no gas and fatigue setting in after a long day.

This gas station has screens atop all their pumps. They didn't seem to be working, but all of a sudden as I swiped my credit card, this voice commented on some credit card evils that I should be aware of. Big Brother at his worst. Then it switched to something else, the cacophony assaulting me as I hooked the hose into my gas tank. Whatever happened to being alone with your thoughts? I jumped into the car while the tank filled in order to get away from the noise. I'll choose a different gas station in the future.

Okay, enough fun. I'm tired. Back to bed.

No comments: