Friday, March 28, 2008

Last Photos of my DC Trip

Beverly took over the Mt. Vernon blog after my tenure--I had never met her so if was great to put a face to the person I had talked to on the phone and corresponded with. If you wish to see her great work, head to the Mt. Vernon Quilters Unlimited blog.

I told Andrea about the glowing Washington Monument at sunset. It didn't happen this day as the clouds were too prevalent. But we got a nice shot of us with the Lincoln in the background.

Here's an earlier photo of the glowing phenomenon.

I visited the Smithsonian grounds on my last day, and noticed that where once there were few gazing globes, now there were many, tucked in among the foliage.

Magnolias just starting to bud out.

Driving a last round of the Tidal Basin, I noticed one of my favorite, and often overlooked, monuments--that to those soldiers of World War I from the DC area who gave their lives in the conflict.





It's tucked away in the trees, halfway in between the Lincoln Memorial and the WWII memorial, almost opposite the Reflecting Pool from the Vietnam Wall.


Glad to see my old friend Samuel W. Sowerbutts.


While it was called the Great War for Civilization, how many have we had since then? I must prefer this era's optimism that there would be one and only one Great War.

Good-bye Washington. Until next time.

No comments: