Saturday, March 22, 2008

Monday I headed to the Hirschorn--a museum I'd never really explored in the year we lived in DC. I thought the plump red robin next to these roly-poly figures was a nice mimic.


An outside sculpture of bureaucratic rubber stamps next to the Smithsonian Castle.

Even their tables and chairs have a modernistic feel to them.

I enjoyed many of the exhibits inside--one on Dreams was a compilation of movies trying to recreate the dream state. I liked the one video in another collection that showed a series of Rube Goldberg-type moves, but modernistic style, with tires slamming into bucket of chemicals that oozed over and inflated balloons or lit up pools of liquid into flames, or dislodged two-by-fours. It went on for nearly 25 minutes and there was quite a crowd at the end, watching this endless series of motions.



Here's a trailer of Fischli and Weiss's "The Way Things Go" from YouTube.

No comments: