Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Washington DC Trip

So, Friday Rhonda and I took a little road trip down to La Plata Maryland to Material Girls Quilt Shop, then crossed back over our tracks and headed out to Artful Quilter in Centerville, Virginia--our own mini shop-hop.

After touching just about each bolt of fabric in Material Girls, we were hungry and headed over to a local place for lunch "The Royal Tea Room," I think it was called. We shared the salad with crab cake and each had a bowl of Cream of Crab soup. Fresh crab, from the Maryland seashore. It was worth the trip.

Saturday, Andrea wanted to reprise the visit to Material Girls. I was fine with that notion, because I'd still left some fabric there, and could always touch a few more bolts of fabric. Coming home, the day was breezy, sunny and we decide to go for a walk along the Potomac, but first a stop at Hollin Hall Variety Store. This place is a throwback to all those good memories of dime stores in America.

Here's a picture of the "lingerie" section--a place where you can buy grandma underpants.

Since we'd bought out the ribbon section, there was no time for a walk before dinner, so we opted for a stroll down King Street in Alexandria. This is our restaurant: The Majestic Cafe.

Some nice tourist snapped our photo. I'd left my coat in California, so spent the week wrapped up in shawls. Occasionally I borrowed a coat from my friend Andrea (above) which helped out immensely.

I'm sucker for simple roast chicken. This one was amazing.

Andrea's was a South American fish--some strange name. She said it was tender and delicious.

Since it was in celebration of her birthday, we had to get some cake and ice cream--she had the ice cream and cookies and I had the cake. Instead of a song, they presented her with a little gift of house-made fudge.

No comments: