Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Character


In an article in the New York Times, the authors note that a couple of educators are trying to get a handle on what makes students succeed--in the long run.  They compiled a list of 24 character traits and set out to see how they could incorporate these ideas into their schools.  Some of the ideals are "zest" and "grit."


As I read a tiny thought kept echoing in the back of my mind: this is what I learned at home.  And now it must be taught in the schools of some at-risk neighborhoods in order to propel these students through to a better place.  I was encouraged by the educators' willingness to tackle these ideas and communicate them to their students, but saddened that home was failing these youngsters.  All in all, a provocative article about the topic of teaching character, and to translate it to the school setting.

The blue letters in those pictures are not digitally added.  It is blue tape.  Want to a video of how they created the word "Grit" in the gymnasium?  Click *here.*

1 comment:

Judy said...

I've thought about ways to incorporate "character education" into my classes, and in the back of my mind I always worry that someone will think I have some sort of political or religious agenda. Sad, isn't it? No matter, I will do it anyway. And yes, how sad that these things aren't being taught at home.