Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Post-Halloween Walk

 I took a walk this morning, checking for smithereened-pumpkins, candy wrappers or bits and pieces of fallen costumes. 

 
Stepping out the front door, this batty fellow greeted me, having survived another Halloween. I made a pair of these for our front door when we lived in Pleasanton, about 18 years ago. Most my holiday decorations are all of a certain vintage. I put out fewer and fewer every year, but the up 'n down spider and a few bats will probably linger on.
Our neighbor's "cemetary." Next year I'm going to walk around and observe my neighbor's houses while Dave hands out the candy. This year was another light year for trick-or-treaters: maybe 35 scary souls showed up. The first years we were here, we gave out over 300 pieces of candy, then raided our children's bags for more.
Luminarias decorate a low wall. This too, is a change: the fact that they are still intact. Whatever wasn't nailed down in previous years was pranked. This morning no smashed pumpkins were observed, nor candy wrappers and only a lone purple sash, damp under a morning sprinkler, remained from a frightful night.
A reminder.

No comments: