Saturday, August 02, 2008

Quilt Show, Part II

I told them I collect "Mothers and Daughters" shots, because I just had to have a picture of the two of them--one happily working beside her mother-- a woman who had spools of thread in her hair. She apparently was one of the designers in the Bernina Fashion Show (next).

The Bernina Fashion Show is a series of artfully and sometimes outlandishly crafted garments, using yards and yards of thread, millions of crystals, inventive sewing techniques, designed by women who vie to get their garment picked up for the show. It's quite an honor to get in.

Above is a tribute to all the horrible things we've done to the Indians: Trail of Tears, I think is the name. I never said the titles made sense. Sometimes I think they dream things up to get make some really "out there" garment.

Trail of Tears, front. The designer even made the boots out of fake suede.

I liked this pieced jackets of rusts, golds, mustards and acent colors. It was very elegant, but as usual, my photos are not up to speed. Digital doesn't cover movement very well, and these models were cooking right along.

I thought of my son Matthew when I saw this one: it's one of his favorite paintings. A jacket based on Starry Starry Night is certainly one of a kind, but I liked it a lot.


I had spent the morning in a class making art papers to cover journals. This selection is the teacher's; mine were a little more clunky. Just when I was getting the hang of this art painting business we had to quit for lunch (and the fashion show). I worked steadily after lunch, but quit about 4 p.m. to see the quilt show downstairs. I finished two signatures (for those of you not in the book-making business-its the page sections) and one cover and sewed in one signature. Okay, that's enough.

A great star quilt--on the cover of the quilt program.

They had two elaborate displays about journal quilts. Some were actually interesting--trying to make art while journaling. Some were like watching those slide shows at weddings or birthdays--you can tell it's important to the creator, but not really interesting, art-wise.

One woman had inherited her mother's collection of metal button covers, and did something interesting with it.

Vertigo, by Kathy York

Sprouts, by Laura Wasilowski

Just Dandy, by Ruth Powers

Blue Moon, by Jane Lloyd. She's from Northern Ireland.


Scooter brigade.

You can see how spacious the show was--kind of gave the impression that much was missing, or maybe I'm just used to the more crowded conditions at other shows. While the space was nice, it was apparent to others that this show was not up to speed of the others. Some interesting art quilts (I couldn't photograph them), a display for the owner's mother (a series of OK flowery quilts), the two different journal quilt displays, a SoCal display (but I've seen many of these quilts other times), and a couple of other small collections. Nothing to knock your socks off. The Big QU's show is much better. I've got to get a hold of their CD for this year, that's for sure.

No comments: