Friday, August 22, 2008

Women Shouldn't Rule.

Back to school this week. I took my camera to school this week for the ritual of photographing the students (so I can learn their names and faces). Here are some random shots on campus.

Vine-covered library building, built the year I graduated from high school.

Entrance to our rabbit warren of adjunct mailboxes, and on the opposite side, a long desk with 3 computers that mostly work. This sliver of the library has an open ceiling so the students at their computers on the other side of the wall can hear what we're saying. We whisper a lot.

Back to school also means students. On Wednesday, I was lolly-gagging in the room I had just finished teaching in and the students for the next class came in. We started talking, and politics came up. Student A (male) liked Ron Paul and no one else, so didn't think he'd vote. He'd seemed bright enough. Student B (female) said that she really though Bush had done a great job. She was relieved that Hilary didn't have the nomination, because what's Hilary going to do when she has PMS? Bomb a country? She chuckled at a joke that had obviously gotten some mileage around her house.

I commented that at Hilary's age, she was probably past PMS-ing. Student B took that in, then blurted out: "Well. . . women just shouldn't rule."

I let that one sink in, then offered that Maggie Thatcher hadn't done such a bad job, nor was the German chancellor Angela Merkel a slouch either. Student A piped up with"And Golda Meir--wasn't she okay, too?" I nodded.

I was dying to ask Student B if she was home-schooled, as her political position seemed to be in line with other home-schooled students I've met.

Women shouldn't rule. Welcome Back.

No comments: