Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Another Day at Home with the Charons

Barbara and her girls.

Well, the bilirubin count was higher, so the phototherapy man (or whatever they call him) brought out a tabletop light crib/unit. It looks like a suitcase, but the top lifts up and there is a large bank of lights in the top. Madilyn is supposed to be in there as much as possible, and the lights are much stronger that the biliblanket. The velcro heart tab is to help hold her "sunglasses" on, or eye protectors, but this version has a shield that drops down to protect her eyes.

While her Mother and Father were out doing the doctor visit, Keagan made a nice drawing of an ice [is] skater.

Just before bathtime, at a lull in the day. David took Keagan and Riley to see "Bolt, the Wonderdog," so Barbara took the time to bathe her baby.

Fuzzy little head, right after bath. Just like Star Mother's Youngest Child, if you've read that Christmas story.

I had some help tonight on the sewing machine. Riley loved pushing the buttons, watching the needle change positions. After he went to bed, Keagan climbed up on my lap and helped me sew a little bag for her dance clothes, inch by inch. I finished it later after she was in bed.

I don't do much, I think, but at night I fall into bed. It's been interesting to see the constant snowfall, and having such a tiny baby in the house. Frigid outdoors, warm inside. Couple that with sweet discussions with Keagan, watching Riley navigate the newest addition (displacing him slightly), seeing David lead Barbara and Madilyn out to the doctor's office for yet another heel stick and blood test, conversations about my parents' sixtieth wedding anniversary and my father's 83rd birthday, you could say it's been a mix of emotions and tender feelings.

But best of all, as a mother, is watching my daughter Barbara at the helm, riding this newest wave of motherhood. I have emails from her first pregnancy and delivery that contrast immensely with her current duality of toughness and tenderness. She has grown from a young woman into a thoughtful and mature mother of three. I knew that she would be a good mother, even from her childhood, but what mother doesn't think that? It's so wonderful to see how she does it her way, in her time and with her set of skills and talents.

My father used to always say that his children led such interesting lives. I used to think it just a phrase, a nice line. That is until I gained his perspective. As I watch Chad and Matthew, Barbara and Peter make their choices and grown in their decisions, I also think their lives interesting. I can hardly wait to see what's around the next corner, and the best part is I trust that they will travel their road well.

No comments: